I want an external method to access a mysql database on each call. For now, i open up a new connection on every call, but this probably won't scale much either on performance (new connection on each call is quite an overhead) or availability (the number of open connections is restricted).

I am thinking of using a Z Database Connection (mysql) from within an external method, without using Z SQL Methods, but can't figure out how i can "safely" do it... It crossed my mind to take a peek to the Z SQL Method source, but i don't know if such an approach would be thread safe...

Any thoughts?