Chris Withers wrote:
> J├╝rgen Herrmann wrote:
>> hmm, i'm a bit confused now. do you say that changeOwnershipType() only
>> has to do with "executeable ownership"?
> Yep, I think so...
>> especially i have to know which methods of the IOwned interface are
>> essential and have to be reimplemented properly on my objects.
> Why do you think you need to implement IOwned?

Unless Juergen's object is "code-like", IOwned is a distraction;
ownable objects exist only to prevent trojaning (as Chris correctly
pointed out earlier).

>> ...but the fog is clearing up a little bit now, i thought that the
>> "owner" role would be completely dynamically assigned to a user by
>> getRolesInContext, now i see that this is done at object creation time
>> and more than one user can have the local role "owner" on an object.
> The Owner role is something of a dead chicken. Don't rely on it and
> ignore it as best you can unless you're really sure what you're doing...

I don't know why you would say that.  The "Owner" local role (as opposed
to executable ownership) is widely used to allow creators of content to
edit it in places where they would otherwise be unable to do so.

>> for my use cases i'd prefer to let getRolesInContext() add the "owner"
>> role to it's return list if the (runtime and proprietary) owner check
>> tells it to. any contraindications (besides performance, possibly)?

It *is* possible to hijack the role computation here;  getting it right
is tricky, however, and when it is wrong, your error messages are going
to be inscrutable.  The "right" place to do this might be in a custom
user folder, rather than in content.  PAS, for instance, has the concept
of making the role computation for the *user* pluggable.

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)