Dave Case wrote:
I'm trying to build a  product through the  ZMI (like the example in
The Zope Book),

For the love of god, please don't ;-)

I have some DTML methods

in a ZClass

ow, ow, stop hurting me...

were I want to be
able to do a SecurityCheckPermission() on a permission that I have
defined in the containing product.

The call to SecurityCheckPermission() looks like this...

<dtml-if expr="_.SecurityCheckPermission('Manage Diary',this())">

I'm thinking maybe I'm calling SecurityCheckPermission in the wrong
context?  Making a product certainly can be confusing at times.  :)

Yes, don't do it, at least not like this. Look at building a filesystem absed prdocut which is marginally saner...

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk