Thanks a bunch Jens! It was the buggy tar that got me :-( Now that I think about it, I did see a blurb about avoiding solaris' tar - just thought that I'd give it a try and since I didn't see any error messages,
I figured it succeeded...that was stupid.

Anyway, it builds now.  Many thanks again.
tom