That seems to be the problem, I find ZClasses to fill a role for intermediate skill level developers to create rich objects and applications. The replacement at this difficulty level hasn't appeared yet. My impression is that ZClasses will continue in Zope 2.x, but it hasn't been enhanced or touched at all. The ZClasses implementation seems to be solid. There are shortcomings with ZClasses when you try to do too much with them. Some of the Zope 2 books have nice examples are how and what you can do with ZClasses.

That said, I picked up Stephen Richter's book on Zope 3, very nicely done... Zope 3 seems to be maturing pretty fast, and some/most of the new features have been adapted to the older Zope 2 architecture (a project called Five). If you're going to make a large investment in time... and you're just getting started, I'd pick up this book, and see if you can handle the difficulty level of Zope 3, at this point. Zope 3 technologies seem to be "the New Way". Although advanced, Zope 3 seems to be the result of a lot of self-examination of the triumphs and mistakes of Zope 2... a few things I picked out.... an re-thought organization scheme of naming, libraries, etc., the use of interfaces/contracts.... Generally cleaner and more pythonic, allowing much more power and flexibility... removing much of the mystery of Zope 2 inner workings and naming conventions.

As for DTML, the old way, DTML is a tag-based way to create web interfaces, similar to CFML, PHP, ASP... inline tagging around and within the HTML. The new way, is markedly different, and difficult to get your head around at first, called ZPT (Zope Page Templates). ZPT uses XML and an attribute system to embed commands in an HTML page, without ruining your ability to use WYSIWYG editors like Dreamweaver, etc. ZPT is highly regarded here on this list, and probably will win out in the end. But there are enough DMTL folks, that DTML will be in Zope 3 until ZPT takes over.

There is a Zope 3 mailing list, that might be helpful.

Just my observations and impressions,

-Jon

Allen Huang wrote:

Thanks a million... it works great...
but when you said that ZClasses and DTML are the old way... what is the new way... I just started using Zope so I not quiet up to date...

would you mind fill me in so I could look it up?

*/Jonathan Cyr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

    Hey,

    As you'll hear shortly, ZClasses & DTML are the old way to do
    things, and are not highly recommended, at this point.   Having
    said that, I've had success using them.

    To Add a ZClass into anything folderish, I've used...

    <dtml-call
    "RESPONSE.redirect('manage_addProduct/WWAudioClip/WWAudioClip_factory')">

    where WWAudioClip was the name of the Product and its ZClass

    I place this in a DTML Method that is at the point I wish the
    ZClass object to be created, a target if you wish.  Works fine.

    This will call the "Add" method in your ZClass.

    To Add a regular file object somewhere, I've used..

    <dtml-call "this().manage_addFile(File_object_ID,
    File_object_contents, File_object_title, content_type='audio/mpeg')">

    Parameters Zope ID to be set, Contents (string, whatever), and
    Zope Title, and mime-type (optional)

    Google "Zope manage_addFile" for more info

    HTH,

Jon

    Allen Huang wrote:

    I want to create a empty file in a ZClass object when I first
    created the ZClass object. How do I do that using DTML??

<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2ODgxNjkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a//farechase.yahoo.com/>

Jonathan Cyr
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click. <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2ODgxNjkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a//farechase.yahoo.com/>

--
Jonathan Cyr
http://www.cyr.info

--