1. Host monsters, both one in the zope root folder, and multiple in each plone site's folders. I have tried both with the mappings and without (even though the books say they're not needed with apache).

You should only have one of these, in the root of your Zope instance.

2. apache rewrite rules, this is how (the current attempt looks)
please assume that the big url is all on one line, email programs may have changed that.
<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName example.net
  RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://example.net:8080

This should be however you'd go directly to the Zope instance from the machine where Apache is running.

/plone_site/VirtualHostBase/http/example.net:80/Virtu alHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
I have tried all combinations of things in the 'example.net' places above, including the fqdn, local ip number and local host name. Is there a shortcoming in the documentation here?

I don't think so, I remember reading pretty good docs for this and there are a myriad of examples if you google...

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk