> I fear you fight a CookieCrumbler bug.

Vicious monsters, indeed.

Thanks for the REQUEST['URL'] tip. It's a pretty good workaround for
now, although not exactly right. If I am going to an object

http://here.org/object

with default page or default method "default", then REQUEST['URL'] equals

http://here.org/object/default

instead of

http://here.org/object

This works for purposes of redirecting after login but isn't exactly
what should happen. From what I recall browsing a few ACTUAL_URL, etc.
threads, this is one reason there's a difference between the few
different URL variables.

Also, I opened up a collector issue at
  http://www.zope.org/Collectors/CMF/393

Peace,