One correction:

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 01:12:37PM -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> but if I create a test derived from ZopeTestCase.Functional,  when I
> call self.publish() the thread that handles the publishing (it is
> another thread, right?) has its own app.REQUEST which doesn't contain a
> SESSION object.

That was a bad guess; there's no threading going on there
of course, I should've just read the source.
What happens is that publish does a transaction.commit(),
thus implicitly starting a new request.

So the problem remains the same:
as far as I can tell there's no way for pages tested with publish()
to make use of sessions.

Paul Winkler