On Nov 17, 2005, at 9:38 AM, Jonathan wrote:

A less quick and less dirty solution could be to create several templates (each with different layouts) and serve them up at random.

Instead of at random, maybe based on certain conditions of the object being displayed. It may take some time to come up with the requirements, but would probably need to start with taking a look at the existing pages and figuring out what the designer wants different for each circumstance.

What I assumed the original poster meant was somewhat along the lines of looking at his site and thinking, "For an image that small, putting it above the headline gives too much whitespace, I wish it was in the right rail." or "For such a long page I wish the image was between the second and the third paragraph, unless the first two paragraphs are really short."

Depending on how much work the original poster wants to put into developing those rules, the templates could be created to accommodate his needs.