Dennis Allison wrote:
I have not yet completed differential diagnosis, but I was hoping someone had encountered a similar problem and could pass along a fix/workaround.

The following program fails to do the writes --
import MySQLdb
initdb='test'
dbuser = 'root'
dbpass = 'XXXXXX'
host = 'localhost'
connection = MySQLdb.connect( db=initdb, user=dbuser, passwd=dbpass, host=host )
cursor = connection.cursor()
qd = "delete from test.data"
cursor.execute(qd)
qi = "insert into test.data values('ardvark', 'homework') "
print qi
cursor.execute( qi)
q2 = "select * from test.data"
cursor.execute( q2)
res = cursor.fetchall()
print res

when run with Mysql-Python-1.2.1c under Python 2.4.2, but works just
find with Mysql-Python-1.1.1 under Python 2.3.5.

The tables are Innodb tables (that is, transactional).
1.2.x has no autocommit, so you have to commit your changes with connection.commit() see e.g. https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1329039&forum_id=70461

Running Zope with Python 2.4.2 and Mysql-Pyton 1.2.1c works just fine.
ZMySQL commits for you, so this should work. BTW and just for the record: Python 2.4 is not recommended for Zope 2.8.x, but I'm sure you know that ;-)

Is there something special I need to do that I have forgotten?

HTH,
Wolfram