I once started down that path with FTP.  I use HomeSite, as well, to save via FTP.  I investigated a Linux package called Delegate, that would provide a rev-proxy for FTP over SSL, in which normal FTP clients with SSL could transfer files.  www.delegate.org

I didn't continue, priorities and all.

Maybe a WebDAV client over SSL would be easier, depends on your needs.

-Jon