David Bear wrote:
I have a zope instance listening on localhost. I use apache and fastcgi to
reach zope.

you may wish to rethink that when you get a chance...

Now I would like to provide webdav.

What do you want to use WebDAV for?

when I use cadaver and connect to my zope zope through apache, all works
well even though I have specified in my zope.conf file that  webdav listen
on localhost:8088 (it seems that cadaver is smart enough working through the
fastcgi interface to just work).

I know nothing abotu fastcgi, but I doubt you're reachign the source port, so if you open a ZPT, for example, you will get the rendered version, and if you edit and save it, you will loose all your tal markup.

When attempting to using dreamweaver mx or windows webfolders to connect to
zope I get an error.

Chocolate teapot? ;-)

What error, exactly and verbosely, did you get?

So I attempted to use an apache proxy pass directive to campture all urls at
myzopeserver.edu:8088/webdav back to localhost:8088. This had no effect.

I doubt it had no effect, look in your apache access and error logs...

cadaver was still able to work. Dreamweaver (using webdav site setup) and
windows webfolders still failed.

More information please... you may need to get a packet sniffer such as etheral up and running to get further...

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk