On 1/9/06, Andreas Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --On 9. Januar 2006 21:38:15 -0800 David H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Im just wondering what the wisdom is about Zope performance and various
> > CPU types.  I'm running Zope on Linux (Ubuntu). I notice that Dell is
> > selling  a "dual-core" Pentium unit.  But I have no idea if something
> > like "dual core"  is advantegous to Zope, python execution or one's
> > favorite RDMS.
> >

> A single Python process also a multi-threaded Python application can never
> run on multiple CPUs. Multiple CPUs, cores etc. together with Python make
> only sense when you run multiple Python processes e.g. multiple ZEO clients
> or ZEO client + ZEO server. For standalone Zope instance dual-core  CPU
> give you nothing.

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but a ZEO server + at least one
ZEO client is generally advisable at the very least for debugging
purposes, in which case dual CPUs/cores can be somewhat helpful
(though the zeo server is not terribly processor intesive in my
experience).  Even with a non-ZEO setup, dual cores could obviously be
helpful if you were running other cpu intensive processes like an
RDBMS on the same system.

Alec