Yeah, I put up a patch on the MySQLDb Sourceforge page a long time ago for that.  Doing almost the same thing. Only I made it so you specify the client flag in the Zope connection object.  Doesnt do any good for windows though, they still have a problem with the mysql lib. (I think I posted a bug on that too)