On 25 Jan 2006, at 11:36, Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
Start by checking the ZODB cache numbers in the zope-conf file (too start simple). IIRC, the default is 5000 objects. Increase that to, say 50.000 or so (you mention that you have a busy site).
Sorry, but this is not good advice. 5000 objects in the cache is normally plenty, and you should look into caching the front-end before you even consider this. 50K objects in the cache will eat *a lot* of memory, and most likely cause swapping. Cache properly with Apache or Squid in front first, then investigate the more complex settings.

Does this apply for personanlsied content as well? Remember, his site is
 an intranet.

We at least, have had good results by increasing the internal ZODB
caching. I fail to see how squid could help us with a site that is
mostly non-static. It would be nicer of course if we could use some
other kind of caching, so I am always open to suggestions :-)

Increasing the ZODB cache is a good thing, you just need to keep RAM usage in check. The bigger the cache, the more RAM you use. Swapping would quickly annihilate any advantages you gain by having the cache.

You should also look at increasing the ZEO cache size if you use ZEO. This can be done in zope.conf as well. The ZEO cache is a disk cache.