Michael Vartanyan wrote:
In the very beginning of my Zope career, I once "shot myself in the foot" with a very stupid thing... I kept it to myself then but if we are talking about Zope security settings and usability of the ZMI at the same time, perhaps it is an ideal place to raise this issue.

If you use the famous manage_access page with all the checkboxes to set permissions on an object, it then calls manage_changePermissions to using POST method to apply your settings. The result is that http://your_object_url/manage_changePermissions (without any parameters) stays in your browser visited url history. Now imagine what happens if you click this url by mistake being logged as someone with "Change permissions" permission.

I guess changing the form method to GET is not going to be liked by browsers that put additional restrictions on URL length. So I would propose to introduce a basic request sanity check in the manage_changePermissions itself. I cannot think of any use for resetting all permissions and acquisition for everyone, so the easiest way to do that is to simply check that at least something exists in the form:

   def manage_changePermissions(self, REQUEST):
       """Change all permissions settings, called by management screen.
       """
 >>    if  len(REQUEST.form)<2: raise ...
       self._isBeingUsedAsAMethod(REQUEST, 0)
       valid_roles=self.valid_roles()
       indexes=range(len(valid_roles))
       have=REQUEST.has_key
       permissions=self.ac_inherited_permissions(1)
       fails = []

or something like that.

Actually the proper way to do it, and for exactly the reasons you outlined above, is to always do a redirect to a "result page" url after a POST that has side effects. It's even mandated by the HTTP/HTML specs.

Florent