Thanks for the approach!  We will be using Apache as the proxy.

So if the conditions match: client-ip = your special crawler
and useragent = your crawler -> RequestHeader set Cookie ...

Am I writing a cookie that Plone would recognize as the "Google mini" Plone user? Would you know where is the documentation for the user cookie?

Ah, and btw. maybe you just use ZCatalog and skip using
external crawler :-)
Of course I could do that. ;)
But we are hosting static html pages served up by Apache separately and I want an integrated search facility with topnotch filters and rendering for PDF and MS Office files.