On 24 Feb 2006, at 16:38, Tres Seaver wrote:
So, I take it that you are a second voter in favor of not requiring all tests
to be doctests.

Count me as another.  Doctests are fine for many cases, but they suck
for doing "coverage" / "edge case" testing, which are the "valuable"
unit tests for my applications.

I would note that the usefulness of a doctest as documentation is
inversely proportional to the amount of "setup noise" the test requires.

Another argument against the doctest requirement is the fact that you have great packages out there with very extensive "standard" unit tests. Rewriting those to doctests just for this requirement would be asking just a tad too much.

jens