From: Dieter Maurer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 2:29 PM
To: Palermo, Tom
Cc: 'zope@zope.org'
Subject: Re: [Zope] catching BadRequest exceptions

Palermo, Tom wrote at 2006-3-3 13:56 -0500:
>It seems that BadRequest exceptions, like the ones thrown by
>checkValidId() in OFS.ObjectManager (lib/python/OFS/ObjectManager.py),
>are not handled by a standard_error_message.

Some "BadRequest" exceptions are not handled by "standard_error_message"
(a bug, please file a bug report). But, this is not the case for the one
from "checkValidId".

Affected are errors detected in "REQUEST.processInputs()".
They are not handled by "standard_error_message" because they are detected
too early -- before traversal has even begun.
As a result, there is not yet any "standard_error_message" in the request

These errors are usually type errors during conversion of request parameters
called for by ":<type>" suffixes, e.g.
"start:int=a" would cause such an error.

The easy workaround is not to use such ZPublisher type conversions but
perform the conversions yourself in your application code.