Hello Matt,

I did something similar a few years ago when we had to merge a number of web-sites, and needed to enable content providers who could not be expected to cope with much more than heading and paragraph tags. The users are very pleased with the site functionality - but the implementation displays my then inexperience with Python and Zope, so could not be packaged for others to use. So I have been working on a Zope 3 implementation, which I hope to make available within a couple of weeks. You can have a look at the Zope 2 site I created (for whatever reason I did not what to use CMS or Plone):

http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/

And this is a screen grab of the Zope 3 package with similar functionality as it stands at the moment:

http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/homes/ceford/zope3/

So I can't answer your questions directly, but:

My Zope 2 site used a lot of dtml documents as page components. In Zope 3 I have only used Page Templates.

In my Zope 2 site searches also find dtml documents, so I provide a custom display that puts in links to the pages that put the dtml in the right context. E.g. if a search finds a dtml document called page.bdy the link displayed is page.html.

Best regards

Cliff Ford

Matt Slavin wrote:
Hi,
  I am trying to use Zope to create a very simple company website (about
  40 pages, or so) with the intention of having the flexibility to
  expand functionality etc in due course. I have very little Python /
  DTML experience, but have managed to set up the site using
  includes on the main index page and then use aquisition to provide
  the content within each section.
I'm not sure if this is a safe - or correct way of going about it, but
  it seems ideal for our purposes. The navigational menus dynamically
  include a link to each sub folder - ie website/services/ - and  navigating to a
section, index_html is automatically shown. The  "mainContent" variable is then
  dynamically placed into index_html. (So there are separate
  mainContent dtmlDocuments in About Us, Services etc..) This means we
  can keep the content completely separate, and do not have to include
  headers, footers and other includes within the mainContent variable.
  Brilliant.
However, when using the search script -
  http://www.zope.org/Members/Ioan/SiteSearch - results return a link
  back to the dtml_Document file mainContent, which gets displayed
  without any of the header of footer information. Is there any way to
  render the page with header and footer info? (By, I guess, redirecting the
  page to the containing folder, so that it pulls out index_html instead...)
Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received - as I'm not sure
  this is the best way of using Zope, but it seems so much better than
using plain old included variables. kind regards,
  Matt