On 19 Mar 2006, at 19:11, Dieter Maurer wrote:
This means that almost surely your "non-ascii" was not encoded
in UTF-8. Encode them this way and it will work.

Here's a test template that I created through the ZMI:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
tal:define="dummy python:request.RESPONSE.setHeader('content- type', 'text/html;;charset=UTF-8')">
    <form>
<input name="blah" type="text" tal:attributes="value python:chr (200).encode('utf-8')" />
    </form>

This gives:

Error Type: UnicodeDecodeError
Error Value: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0x80 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

If I change the input line to:

<input name="blah" type="text" tal:attributes="value python:chr(200)" />

Then this will work in HTML mode but will fail in XML mode.

Finally, I tried tal:attributes with my function and the structure
keyword but 'structure' isn't supported with tal:attributes.

I have extended our local Zope to support "structure" for
attributes as well.

I had a look in TAL, and at the bottom of TALDefs.py is a function called attrEscape(s) which correctly escapes attributes but unfortunately this function doesn't seem to be used.

I could provide patches, if useful.

I would be very interested to see you patches.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

--
Logicalware Ltd
Stuart House, Eskmills, Musselburgh, EH21 7PQ, UK