I am using Zope 2.5.0 (binary release, python 2.1, win32-x86), and the
python 2.1.3 distribution of from python.org as a service on a Windows 2000

Any chance you could come out of the stone age?
Seriously, you're now 4 major point releases behind what's considered current...

I am thinking of using windows scheduler to run this every night at midnight. But I wonder if anyone else worked on a similar solution and could pass along any advice.

I know Mark Hammond did some work on signal handling for Zope 2.9. There might be something useful there.

Failing that, logrotated in cygwin should do you fine. Remember to use copytruncate so you don't have to worry about re-openning log files...

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk