Actually, I think python: expressions perform slightly better than their path: counterparts because their evaluation step needs to do less work (no guessing about getitem vs. getattr). Geoff Davis taught me that. But in the end it's all dwarfed by the penalty imposed by security, so it really doesn't much matter.