On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 02:20:48PM +0100, Jonathan Bowlas wrote:
> We're having a few problems with our Zope server, it seems to be crashed but
> were not sure whether it is actually crashed or merely waiting (a long time)
> for a response from LDAP to authenticate our users, which may be causing it
> to hang.
> Is there any tool we can use to test to see if Zope has actally crashed?

I'm assuming you're on *nix of some flavor.
First thing to do is use ps to see if there are any zope-related python
processes running. For example:
$ ps wax | grep python | grep ope

On my gentoo workstation, I'm running both zope and zeo currently,
so I get:

 9609 ?        S      0:05 /usr/local/bin/python
/home/pw/z29soft/lib/python/Zope2/Startup/run.py -C
 9610 ?        S      0:01 /usr/local/bin/python
/home/pw/z29soft/lib/python/ZEO/runzeo.py -C /home/pw/z29inst/etc/zeo.conf

If there are no processes, zope is obviously not running at all :)

If there are processes but zope is not responding,
first thing I would do is check the end of the zope event log
and request log. That would help narrow down the time at which
problems started.

Then, try GDB to figure out what zope is doing.

And, to make life easier next time,
install http://www.zope.org/Members/nuxeo/Products/DeadlockDebugger

finally, another tool that can help diagnose apparent hangs
is the trace log, formerly known as the "big M" log.

Paul Winkler