----- Original Message ----- From: "TR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 10:09 PM
Subject: [Zope] Making Zope Accessible From Internet

I have successfully gotten a Plone installation to serve requests on
localhost. Next, I would like to have it serve remote requests.

I'm using a dialup account and therefore a dynamic IP. I have tried shutting down the firewall, manually entering the current IP of my machine in the YaST
"Hosts" dialogue but Zope doesn't appear to get the requests.

From what I've managed to partially digest about networking, this could be
missing configuration in the routing tables, DNS lookup, network interface,
etc. Etc. Etc. I don't think it's actually something as simple as the
zope.conf file, or even anything I can learn from studying Apache
configuration. Does this seem accurate?

Short answer:
- make sure zope is running
- make sure no other web server (apache, etc) is running
- shut down the firewall (very scary mon! - if you can just expose port 8080 it would be safer) - add ':8080' to the dynamic url you are using (eg. http://x.x.x.x:8080) and see if that works (you shouldn't have to mess with anything else, unless your machine is running apache or some other front-end web server, a basic zope install will look for http requests on port 8080 of the url of the local box)

I have accessed a zope installation running on a box, in a private lan, that has been exposed thru the firewall (via a dmz) on a dynamic IP and it works fine (until the ip address gets reset)

Good luck!

Jonathan