----- Original Message ----- From: Sinang, Danny
To: zope@zope.org
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 11:24 AM
Subject: [Zope] Zope performance experiences

Can anyone share their experiences on Zope's performance, what your hardware / Zope configs are, and how you plan to scale ?

I just did some load testing for a new app I am building, so i have some figures:

Application Server
  - zope 2.9.2
  - centOS 4.3 (linux)
  - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8 Ghz)
  - 1Mb RAM (PC3200 DDR 400Mhz)

Database Server
  - zope 2.9.2 (but only using zeo server)
  - mysql 4.1
  - centOS 4.3 (linux)
  - VIA Cyrix CPU (1Ghz)
  - 1Mb RAM (ECC 400Mhz)

Load testing was done using http_load utility. Apache front-end web server was turned off (I didn't want Apache & its caching to impact the load testing). Load testing was done on an internal LAN.

Test #1 - retrieval of static web page (application server gets web page from zeo server running on database server); results:

       750 fetches, 50 max parallel
       3382 mean bytes/connection
       186.86 fetches/sec
       631981 bytes/sec
           mean 0.414
           max  7.523
           min 0.174
           mean 258.394
           max  277.709
           min 114.296

Test #2 - retrieval of a dynamic page (data collected via an external method and displayed via dtml). Data collection required 5 separate ZCatalog searches and 1 SQL search (all searches performed by Database server); results:

       750 fetches, 50 max parallel
       8223.2 mean bytes/connection
       12.84 fetches/sec
       105593 bytes/sec
           mean 1.616
           max  46.725
           min 0.17
           mean 3768.18
           max  4339.11
           min 365.858

cpu monitoring during the load test indicated that the Application Server was running at 80-85% utilization and the Database Server cpu was running at 27-31% utilization.

Test #3 - retrieval of a dynamic page (data collected/generated via an external method and displayed via dtml). Data collection consisted of 1 zodb object access (to obtain property fields), 2 SQL searches and the generation of a customized image (using PIL, the image was temporarily stored in a temporary_folder); results:

       750 fetches, 50 max parallel
       2287.93 mean bytes/connection
       26.554 fetches/sec
       60753 bytes/sec
           mean 0.425
           max  1.544
           min 0.168
           mean 1782.18
           max  7685.95
           min 78.514

Final system configuration will consist of a front-end load balancer (linux-based), several application servers and several database servers. There is some good info on scalable networks here: http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/