Thank you everybody for your input and help with this.
What was explained to me and what I missed when reading about acquisition is that _getattr_ is used by acquisition to return attributes in context. If your objects are in a list, _getattr_ is not available, but _getitem_ is used to return the objects. So there are two solutions and two schools of thought on how to solve this. Some will over ride _getitem_ so that lists return object.__of__(self) , others will wrap the objects manually.

The second solution is the one that I took.
I wrote a method for my class that takes an integer and will return that element from the list as a wrapped object.

simply

def getObject(self,i):
  '''return wrapped object from list'''
  object = self.list.__of__(self)