What's your apache config?
I suggest that you use ProxyPass. Something like this will work fine:

  ServerName dev.yoursite.com
ProxyPass / http://localhost:9080/VirtualHostBase/http/dev.yoursite.com:80/zopefolder/VirtualHostRoot/ ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:9080/VirtualHostBase/http/dev.yoursite.com:80/zopefolder/VirtualHostRoot/
  ProxyPass /misc_ http://localhost:9080/misc_
  ProxyPass /p_ http://localhost:9080/p_
  ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/dev.yoursite.com_error.log
  CustomLog /var/log/apache2/dev.yoursite.com_access.log combined

  ServerName www.yoursite.com
ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.yoursite.com:80/zopefolder/VirtualHostRoot/ ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.yoursite.com:80/zopefolder/VirtualHostRoot/
  ProxyPass /misc_ http://localhost:8080/misc_
  ProxyPass /p_ http://localhost:8080/p_
  ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/www.yoursite.com_error.log
  CustomLog /var/log/apache2/www.yoursite.com_access.log combined

You'll need to enable mod_proxy for your apache and you'll need to run two Zopes on the same server. One on port 8080 and one on port 9080.
All the values I chose are all example values that you can play with.

Best of luck!

ianripping wrote:

I am having trouble trying to get apache to use sub domains for my 2
instances of zope.

I want test.server name for one sub domain adn live.server for the other.
The first sub domain for test instance of zope.
The second sub domain for the lvie instance of zope.

Anyone done this before?
Can you show me an example of apache config file?

Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com
home www.peterbe.com
hobby www.issuetrackerproduct.com