Hi. I've been attempting to develop products with Zope 2.9, and am finding it increasingly difficult and slow to do so as Product refreshing no longer works.

Google shows up a few results from mailing lists with somewhat negative responses (The gist I'm getting is that no-one 'in the know' wants to worry about fixing it, as they don't see a real need for it).

However, as a zope restart seems to take a good 5-10 seconds on my high end workstation (AthlonX2 4800+) with all the essentiall products installed (Plone, archetypes etc, plus my application), it's starting to become a major problem.

as an example, I spent about three hours today debugging a problem, 90% of which was wasted waiting for zope restarts after making small changes and adding trace print statements. If I was able to refresh the product I would likely have taken less than half an hour.

Another major issue I've discovered is Zope hosting. We reguarly deploy custom sites on shared zope environments, and having to restart an entire server just to update one product severely breaks our uptime guarentee.

I'm afraid we are going to have no choice but to either drop back to Zope 2.8, or ditch Zope entirely- something I'd prefer not to have to do with our large codebase.

I'm hoping I can garner some support to get the zope developers to fix the problem. Failing that, ANY information pointing me in the right direction would be helpful, as I'm more than happy to fix it myself and submit a patch.

If anyone else is finding this a problem, please reply in this thread. :-)

Thanks in advance.
  James.