--On 7. August 2006 20:30:11 +0200 Dieter Maurer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andreas Jung wrote at 2006-8-7 13:56 +0200:
Refreshing was always a hack and never something I would call a feature.
It was always a hack for *development* purposes but not for production.

We are speaking about development, not about production.

We're also talking about techniques to avoid downtime. So we are are also
speaking of production :-)

Refresh does not work Five...

Do you understand why?

No, and I did not try.

In my view, refreshing should work with Five.

For this to work, we almost sure need to tell Five that the product
was refreshed such that Five can reprocess the "*.zcml" files for the

I think this is basically a Zope 3 issue and not a Zope 2 issue. There
were also some approaches in Z3 to make browser views somehow
refreshable but I nothing that appeared in a release so far.

Another major issue I've discovered is Zope hosting. We reguarly deploy
custom sites on shared zope environments, and having to restart an
entire server just to update one product severely breaks our uptime

Refresh only works in debug-mode. You want to tell us that you are
running  a production site in debug-mode?

I think you err, Andreas.

See my later posting.

Refresh always works, at least the explicit refresh (do not know
about the automatic one which I have never used).

I'm hoping I can garner some support to get the zope developers to fix
the problem.

I am a great fan of refresh and would try to get it fixed if we
had a need for it.

Nevertheless, it may come sooner as some external developpers are
a fan of Five and want to install a newer version. As we all
expect Five to be the reason that refresh no longer works, this might
force me to look into this problem earlier than I currently think.

This is basically an issue when you work with Plone. Loading the complete
boilerplate really takes ages. An instance running on a decent machine will start fast when you work with CMF & friends.