The real effort towards making a "better refresh" should likely be spent at the level of the Python interpreter. The dynamic nature of Python is the thing that allows for a "refresh" in the first place, but the implementation of Python object references limits its usefulness.

The implementation of "reload" could be vastly improved by changing Python internally to allow for a sort of mark-and-sweep reload that could traverse an object graph full of references between an object and the modules that it is declared in. Anything else will likely be too fragile to work in all cases.