David wrote:
Is there some mechanism in Zope or can be added to a Zope instance that would limit the number of requests that are served per IP address within a certain period of time? We are aware that this would also affect Google and other search engine spiders, but as they usually come from a known IP range, it would be nice if we could exempt these from the "throttling".

Sorry, only just saw this. Not in Zope, but you may look at newer versions of the fail2ban package...

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk