r.__cmp__(x,y) requires y to be a 'r', not a 'ImplicitAcquirerWrapper'

I see this is a pending case but does anyone have any idea if it will be fixed in future releases?

Finally got a 2.8.8 instance running with our Data (from 2.7.5) and was able to run the catalog index fixer with help from Chris Withers (THANKS!!) and all was looking good. The pages that looked up news stories from the catalog are looking good. Then I went to a page that displayed Houses (from ZSQL methods) and does a sort on the results as is the case in MANY pages we have. The top line is the result on the error page. Seems its a well know bug but does not look like its an issue to most but it is to us.

Any ideas??