Peter Bengtsson wrote:
But how do you use it? I installed Five 1.2.6
In my product's directory I created a configure.zcml that looks like this::
<configure xmlns="";

 <i18n:registerTranslations directory="i18n" />

Starts without errors. My ryf-sv.po file isn't automatically compiled
to .mo

Right. The Zope 3 machinery doesn't do that. Use msgfmt from the gettext utilities to compile catalogs.

You're also using PTS's non-standard directory layout. The standard gettext layout is somedir/LC_MESSAGES/<lang>/<domain>.mo. PTS supports this as well but Plone continues not to go standard here and set a bad example :(

and I tried changing the HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE variable but
still just the old default English.

HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE isn't a variable. It's an HTTP header (Accept-Language) that you really shouldn't modify. The request should be treated as read-only.

To test languages, either write your own IUserPreferredLanguages adapter that returns the language you want or simply configure your browser to send a different Accept-Language header. In Firefox, you can simply do this by entering "about:config" in the URL bar and changing the setting of the intl.accept_languages variable (e.g. to "se, en").

Either I've missed something big and crucial or there's a bug in lack
of errors or alerts.

You simply didn't read Five/doc/i18n.txt ( Googling "five i18n" gives you that as a first hit. "RTFM" is all I can say here.