Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
Funny, I've never used either in 6 years of zoping ;-)

Me neither, but are we prepared to break the apps of the people who do?

I'd assert that no-one does...

(Btw, just thought of another one possible name clash: 'response')

no-one uses that is Zope 2 land 'cos of RESPONSE...

I've thought about introducing the adaption approach now. I think we'd be opening a can of worms since the request objects are likely to be passed from old style code to new style code and vice versa.

I think it's worth at least trying...

I'll repeat this again: Just because Zope 3 libraries ship with Zope 2 doesn't mean that everything from the 'zope' namespace has to work. Five has never made that promise.

Indeed, but in this circumstance, they probably should ;-)

That said, *if* we choose to go with such a configuration option, I think it woudl probably be a good idea to have it disabled by default in the first release and enabled in subsequent releases. That way applications could opt in for the new behaviour earlier than necessary (much like Python's __future__ imports).

OK, I'll buy that, annoying though it'll be for everyone (no-one has spoken up to say "you're gonna break all my code is you use debug, or locale, or response" ;-) )