David H wrote:
I've read that I should use the "Cookie Crumbler" product... but after I've added this to the folder that I intend to protect, I click on cookie_authentication (the default name for the "Cookie Crumbler" object) and I get the following error message:
Thats a weird one ... but cookie crumbler is great to get custom login forms
It looked as if it should be... :-)
Did you try deleting it and adding another (cookie_authentication object)** Maybe you added a property thats non-existent? (login page id or something?)
I tried that - I even tried installing a fresh version of Zope and creating a new instance... I followed some instructions:

My experiences started to differ when I got a cookie_authentication instead of a login object... I was unable to display the properties tab for cookie_authentication (step 8) as that generates the error...
you can produce a fuller error traceback
If necessary add
  <dtml-var error_tb>
to your standard_error_message (if using dtml) for a clearer error expression

That generates:

Traceback (innermost last):

   * Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
   * Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 41, in call_object
   * Module Products.CookieCrumbler.utils, line 115, in
   * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 311, in __call__
   * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 346, in _bindAndExec
   * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 1, in ?
   * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 265, in _getContext