On 9/14/06, Jonathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If you mean having zope commit a single transaction to multiple storages,
then 'vanilla' zope won't do it (Zope Corp has a commercial product called
ZRS which does this type of thing).

No, that's not true. ZRS is used to create hot read-only or stand-by
copies of a ZEO server (and all storages within such a server are
copied).

One ZEO server can deal with multiple storages just fine. Transactions
involving multiple storages commit just fine.

First off, does this make any sense? Is it worth pursuing?

I think so.

I would think, but do not know for sure, that transactions only
involving one storage should not delay transactions involving other
storages.

Secondly, I
assume that where an object is stored does not limit what other objects it
can access in a transaction (e.g. object A could add a property to object
B if they were in different storages) because all changes would occur in a
client. (this ties into the single transaction committing to multiple
storages)

You assume correctly.

Note that a stock Zope install already runs multiple storages; one for
Session data (tempstorage) and one for all other data.

Lastly, any thoughts on how we could split up our existing data.fs file?
One thought I had was to attempt to import/export data.

Either before or after upgrading to 2.9 (probably best after to take
advantage of the more robust ZODB), export and import.

--
Martijn Pieters