Try turning on verbose security in zope.conf  - there are two settings that you need:
security-policy-implementation python
verbose-security on
----- Original Message -----
To: David H
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] LocalFS - user needs to be manager?

On 21/09/06, David H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Josh Burvill wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am experiencing an odd situation where if a user does not have
> manager role, he/she cannot browse a localfs object.
> I think it can't be a filesystem permissions or zope process os user
> problem because if the zope user has the manager role, there is no
> problem.
> I can't see anything in the permissions for the localfs object to
> cause a problem, they are all on "acquire".
> Any hints?
> Zope 2.8.6-final, python 2.3.5, win32
> LocalFS-1-7-andreas
Did you do an Zope upgrade recently?  Why do you say its "odd" what was
normal before?

I upgraded my zope from 2.6.4 a couple months ago, but only installed localfs yesterday.
Being new to localfs, I don't really know if it is odd or normal, but it seems "odd".
The unprivileged (but "authenticated") zope user is asked to reenter their login details (basic http auth) when they try to click on the link to the localfs object, and not allowed to view it. But if i grant the user the zope "Manager" role, they are let in.

Hope this clarifies the problem.

Zope maillist  -
**   No cross posts or HTML encoding!  **