Thanks for the reply Maciej. What happens is that Zope egg timers for an eternity - around 3-4 minutes then doesn't actually return a success page. However if I then refresh the site I see that a PloneExFile has been added. No good for training :-) I will try out the deadlock debugger. I have a couple of other sites running on the instance using the same ZODB and they are able to add PloneExFiles ok.
Hm... I'm afraid that DeadlockDebugger
may show you that Zope is doing... nothing.
I mean that file is added and Zope finishes
his job quickly. If so, then something may
be wrong with redirection after this. Have
you tried different browser? Firefox
instead of IE or something like that?

Maciej Wisniowski