David Bear wrote:
I know it has been asked many times which os is best for zope, I have
yet to see a 'system administration perspective' in the discussion. By
this I mean which os seems to have the most worry free administration
of a zope instances. I have installed zope on both FreeBSD and various
linucies and here is what I have observed:

1) Freebsd ports collection is an easy way to install zope -- the
ports maintainer takes care of making the build files to handle all the
zope dependencies including python versions, libraries, etc. However,
I have yet to use portupgrade to apply security patches to zope
instances running on freebsd. Does anyone know of using cvsupdate for
getting security patches works over the ports collection of zope
smoothly?

2) I've run zope on Red Hat and Suse linux. In both cases I found that
I needed to install a different version of python than the one
packaged with the distro becuase Zope had specific dependencies for
new versions python. Applying patches to zope is manual. It has always been very
inconvenient to build python and PIL in a separate run instances for
zope. This seems like a major pain in the ...

i've been most happy w/ debian or ubuntu, and have also had good luck w/ gentoo. in each case, i use python (as well as nearly all python dependencies, e.g. PIL) from the distribution, but then build Zope itself from source, either a checkout or a tarball.

-r