--- Lennart Regebro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 10/3/06, Derek Basch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have about a million lines of Perl code/crap that I would like to
> > refactor to Zope.
> > Is this even possible?
> Refactor? No. But it's quite likely that you can redo it quite quickly
> with Zope thanks to all the third-party products.
> What does you perl code/crap do? What type of site is it?

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Perhaps refactor wasn't the best choice of words. The site is a very large
online gaming website
(not gambling). The legacy perl code does many, many things (administration,
game play,
accounting, message boards, publishing, mail, etc...) and really is around a
million lines.
Rewriting the current perl code in python/zope would take a small eternity even
with the rapid
development that zope permits.

I saw that the zope-perl project is virtually dead and was hoping that some
magical zope to perl
bridge existed. Something that would allow me to use our existing perl code as
an external method
or someting similar. Forgive me if my zope terminology is a bit off as I
haven't worked with zope
in about three years.

As it stands it looks like I will need to use a PHP or Perl web application

PHP because it has decent Perl to PHP support:

Or Perl, for obvious reasons. Perhaps something like Catalyst:

However, neither of the above solutions is as enticing as the joy I am sure I
would get from Zope.
Which way should I go?

Derek Basch

Do You Yahoo!?