----- Original Message ----- From: "Derek Basch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lennart Regebro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Legacy Perl code and Zope. A pipe dream?

--- Lennart Regebro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 10/3/06, Derek Basch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have about a million lines of Perl code/crap that I would like to > refactor to Zope.
> Is this even possible?

Refactor? No. But it's quite likely that you can redo it quite quickly
with Zope thanks to all the third-party products.

What does you perl code/crap do? What type of site is it?

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Perhaps refactor wasn't the best choice of words. The site is a very large online gaming website (not gambling). The legacy perl code does many, many things (administration, game play, accounting, message boards, publishing, mail, etc...) and really is around a million lines. Rewriting the current perl code in python/zope would take a small eternity even with the rapid
development that zope permits.

I saw that the zope-perl project is virtually dead and was hoping that some magical zope to perl bridge existed. Something that would allow me to use our existing perl code as an external method or someting similar. Forgive me if my zope terminology is a bit off as I haven't worked with zope
in about three years.

As it stands it looks like I will need to use a PHP or Perl web application framework.

PHP because it has decent Perl to PHP support:

Or Perl, for obvious reasons. Perhaps something like Catalyst:

However, neither of the above solutions is as enticing as the joy I am sure I would get from Zope.
Which way should I go?

It sounds like you already have a web application (in perl) up and running, so what do you want Zope (or anything else) to accomplish for you?