If I can provide any suggestion, take a look at "Refactoring", by
Martin Fowler, and start applying the refactorings there provided.
This is not, I think a Zope/Perl/Python/PHP issue, but rather a
refactoring/migration problem, and it should be explored in that
places (just a suggestion, of course).

Regards
Marco