Derek Basch wrote:
[snip]
I saw that the zope-perl project is virtually dead and was hoping that some
magical zope to perl
bridge existed. Something that would allow me to use our existing perl code as
an external method
or someting similar. Forgive me if my zope terminology is a bit off as I
haven't worked with zope
in about three years.

As it stands it looks like I will need to use a PHP or Perl web application
framework.

The closest thing right now available that might help you is Python WSGI technology. Zope 3 has WSGI support; Zope 2's support is still prototypical as far as I know, but Ian Bicking actually mentions work on this in the blog entry I link to below too.

There has been some work done to bridge PHP into WSGI, allowing PHP applications can be embedded into Python applications.

http://blog.ianbicking.org/2006-wphp.html

What you might be able to do is write something based on WSGI that allows bridging Perl applications into Python applications. This should
allow you then to embed these Perl applications into a Zope 3 context.

Anyway, not a ready-made answer, but perhaps it will help.

Regards,

Martijn