On 6 Nov 2006, at 17:59, Max M wrote:

Jens Vagelpohl skrev:

If your are using Zope 2 and is a newbie, do yourself the favour of starting with Zope 3.

If you want to work in zope 2 you should use Plone as a base, and create products with Archgen XML (AGX)

There are no advantages in using plain Zope 2 anymore.
I'm sorry, that's just complete BS.

No it isn't!

Mind what I said (or tried to say). If you are a *new developer*, with a *new project*, you are far better of starting with Zope 3 than with Zope 2.

That's questionable. Answers like this only add to a certain FUD factor out there about Zope2 being thrown out shortly.

If you need features that are in Zope 2 but not in Zope 3, you are better of using a framework like Plone.

Hell no. Trying to throw a complete newbie not just into developing with Zope, but developing with Plone on top of Zope is, IMHO, insane. Not only do you need to learn Zope, you also need to learn the various Plone programming paradigms. That's just bad advice, unless someone truly wants those portal-like functionalities in Plone. Plone is a screwdriver, and you're advising people to pound a nail into the wall with a screwdriver.

I have done Zope for +6 years, and I would not dream of starting up a project from scratch in Zope 2 anymore.

I did not say that Zope 2 was useless. I still spend most of my time working on Plone based projects.

This is a case of professional "blinders". You've been working with a specific combination for years so these things come easy to you. The problem is you don't seem to see that there is healthy life outside of Plone. Or outside of Zope 3, for that matter.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)