I wanted to do it because for some reason, my oracle connector (DCOracle)
keeps disconnecting, and so I thought maybe it would be possible to define a
python method to periodically check on it and reconnect it if necessary.

I imagined it wouldn't be so easy, but anyways I think I may be capable of
convincing ppl at work to buy a mxodbc license...

thanks.