Tres Seaver wrote:
> Glenn Gillis wrote:
>>> Huh, funny that I've never heard of, much less used, the "inplace" make
>>> target when building Zope.
>>> I will give this a try and see how things go. Thanks for the suggestion,
>>> Tres.
> Turns out that the makefile didn't tell you you needed to run 'make
> inplace' before using the instance created with 'make instance' -- I
> filed and fixed a collector bug on that issue:

While I'm happy to have unearthed a bug that could be fixed, and hate to
beat this thing into the ground, when I run "make inplace" prior to
"make instance" I just get the following error:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]]$ make inplace
  make: don't know how to make
  PREFIX=/usr/local/zope/software-home/Zope-2.8.5-final. Stop

My directory tree is like this:

/usr/local/zope is owned by user/group zope/zope, and I'm running the
configure and make as user "zope."

I swear I have several other Zope/Plone site running on this box that I
was able to set up without resorting to any mailing lists!

If Tres, or anyone else, has a helpful suggestion for getting around
this error, I'm all ears.