--On 20. Mai 2007 14:50:12 +0200 Einar Næss Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 5/20/07, Andreas Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--On 20. Mai 2007 14:20:38 +0200 Einar Næss Jensen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I get errors like:
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position
> 2940: ordinal not in range(128)
> how can I locate the character which causes the error?
> In particular: where is the position (2940 in the example)?

First you must provide the *full* traceback.

sorry....:

Request URL   http://localhost:10080/ordredfolder/einar.jensen/testview
   Exception Type   UnicodeDecodeError
   Exception Value   'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position
2940: ordinal not in range(128)

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 348, in _bindAndExec
  Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplateFile, line 110, in _exec
  Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 105, in pt_render
 <PageTemplateFile at /ordredfolder/einar.jensen/testview>
  Module StringIO, line 271, in getvalueUnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii'
codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 2940: ordinal not in
range(128)

As Peter wrote: you are likely mixing somewhere different encodings with
unicode or something similar. Which Zope version are you using?
If 2.10 then you might check at the UnicodeConflictResolver as introduced
in Zope 2.10 (check the release notes). Otherwise ensure that you are not mixing unicode strings with non-unicode strings.

-aj