yes, firebug is your best friend when doing javascript development!

I am wondering if the script call in your html is calling the correct location?

I suggest serving javascript from apache. Then you can just make a
header dtml page that calls those javascript files. Any zope page that
needs the javascript can just use that header. Zope and javascript
compliment each other quite well. The more processing you can push
onto your client the more zope can scale.