On Aug 27, 2007, at 10:59 PM, Ross Patterson wrote:

We have a Plone 3.0/Zope 2.10 application that we need to develop on, maintain and
deploy to a ZEO server and multiple ZEO clients.  Currently we use svn
bundles of Zope and Plone and our own packages and products in one big
svn:externals definition.  We also use some more recent versions of
certain products and packages than those included in the upstream
svn:externals.  For example:

Zope svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope/branches/2.10
Zope/lib/python/zope/app/interface svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ zope.app.interface/trunk/src/zope/app/interface

Though I haven't seen any documentation to this effect, svn seems to
treat the second svn:externals as a "svn switch" on "svn up".

So one question I have is how would I "override" the versions of some
package like this using buildout?

Putting these packages in your Zope instance home's "lib/python" directory should get them found before the others. For Products, you can use an additional "products-path" directive in zope.conf and put files in there. I don't know how to tell buildout to do either, though.

Another question I have is that there aren't releases for all the
dependencies our application has. I'm wondering what the best way is to define a canonical release for deployment to our cluster. Ideally, we'd
have a buildout (or whatever) on a staging server where we're testing
the candidate for deployment and then when all tests pass that *exact*
source should be deployed to the cluster.

I always use a vendor import for this (to a separate CVS server, I don't use SVN).

  How might one do this without
upstream releases?  Is there a way to get buildout and setuptools to
play together so that I can build a source distribution from the test
passing buildout on staging?  Is there a way I can have a buildout on
each cluster node such that a simple ./bin/buildout will get the latest
deployment release for that node?

Personally I use a script that knows about all of the revisions of all of the products and packages I want to deploy, and which creates a "sandbox", downloading and installing all of them (as well as creating instances, etc). It doesn't work very well for upgrades, but for starting a sandbox fresh, it's fine. See http:// agendaless.com/Members/chrism/software/buildit and http:// www.plope.com/Members/chrism/buildit_example .

- C